grΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ
ΥΠΟΥΡΓΕΙΟ ΠΑΙΔΕΙΑΣ, ΕΡΕΥΝΑΣ & ΘΡΗΣΚΕΥΜΑΤΩΝ 
ΠΕΡΙΦΕΡΕΙΑΚΗ Δ/ΝΣΗ Α/ΘΜΙΑΣ & Β/ΘΜΙΑΣ ΕΚΠ/ΣΗΣ ΚΕΝΤΡΙΚΗΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΑΣ
Administrative Division
| Print |

After its formation by the “I. Kapodistrias” programme, the Municipality of Arnaia, one of the 14 Municipalities of Chalkidiki, takes up the northeastern part of Chalkidiki. It consists of five municipal districts, that of Arnaia, which is also the seat of the Municipality, of Paleochori, Neochori, Stanos and Varvara. The population of the Municipality is, according to the 2001 census, 6.162 inhabitants.

ARNAIA-THE TRADITIONAL SETTLEMENT

Built at the foot of Mount. Cholomontas at an altitude of 590m above sea level, with a population of 2251 inhabitants, it forms the “core” of this area since all the public services are concentrated here.

 

A densely populated settlement, with both cobbled and stone-paved streets, renovated houses and traditional guest houses along with the rare natural beauty, makes an appealing suggestion of quality and peace for the prospective visitor.

 

It has been characterized by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture as a “historic area” and this is fully explained by the significant urban network, having the village square as its center, as well as the listed monuments of great architectural interest, which clearly mark it as one of the most notable traditional settlements of our country.

Its inhabitants mainly occupy themselves with beekeeping, livestock farming and logging. There are also miners, civil servants and other self-employed citizens.

 

PALEOCHORI

The second biggest village of the municipality in terms of population with 1620 inhabitants. It lies on the main arterial route between Thessaloniki and the Holy Mount. Athos at an altitude of 550 meters. Green-clad with agritouristic guest houses, beautiful neighborhoods, picturesque alleys, where the balance and moderation between the old and the new, between tradition and everyday life, cause fascination.

Its inhabitants are primarily miners and loggers and some occupy with livestock farming and farming. The central square constitutes the meeting point of all people and the center of every social event.

At a distance of 8 km from the settlement lies “Neposi”, a castle of the Mid-Byzantine period. A plate that was found inside the castle states that the settlement existed even more than a thousand years ago. During the time of the Ottoman occupation the inhabitants had found shelter in the areas of the Holy Mount. Athos and that of Serres. In 1837 they came back and rebuilt their village. In 1912 it was liberated from the Turks.

 

NEOCHORI

Perched on the foothills of Mount Kamila, 8 km northeast of Arnaia at an altitude of 550 meters lies Neochori, literally chocked with the green of oak and beech. The settlement dates back to around 1500 A.D. It is characterized by the beautiful houses and its traditional guest-houses.

Neochori was part of the Confederacy of the 12 so-called “Mantemochoria” (villages producing cast-iron) at the time of the Ottoman occupation and participated in the 1821 revolution. Its enterprising inhabitants, approximately 800, mainly occupy with forest works, the cultivation of fir trees, animal farming and cultivating vegetables, the most characteristic of which is butter beans.

STANOS

Mountain village of northern Chalkidiki, 9 km from Arnaia, with about 850 inhabitants who occupy with animal farming and masonry. The village’s main characteristic is the big number of families having many children, which classify it second on a Pan-Hellenic scale, as far as these families are concerned.



VARVARA

Barbara-Falls

Picturesque mountain village, 20 km northeast of Arnaia, lost in the middle of two green-clad mountains “Drevenikos” and “Sougliani”. A well laid-out village, with agritouristic guest-houses, and spick-and-span neighborhoods and backyards. It has been inhabited since the 14th century A.D. It was part of the Confederacy of the 12 so-called “Mantemochoria” (villages producing cast-iron).

The 650 inhabitants occupy with logging, animal farming and mining. A significant work is carried out by the Women’s Co-operative of Varvara, which makes traditional products of exceptional quality. Its natural beauty and its close proximity to the ancient town of Stagira, birthplace of Aristotle, make it an attraction for many visitors.

 
Ευρωπαϊκή Κάρτα Νέωνespa-2014-2020